NMMS Scheme | scholarships.gov.in |
Department of School Education and Literacy, Government of India invites applications for the National Means cum Merit Scholarship Scheme 2022-23 from class 9 students. Through this scholarship, meritorious students from economically weaker sections will get financial help to continue their studies. The scholarship will be disbursed in one installment in a year by the State Bank of India by direct electronic transfer into the accounts of the students through the Public Financial Management System (PFMS).
Today in this article we will discuss all the aspects of this scholarship if you are interested in this scholarship then read this article till the end.
The Centrally Sponsored Scheme “National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship Scheme (NMMSS)” was launched in May 2008. NMMS Scheme 2022 is included on the National Scholarship Portal (NSP). NMMS scheme is to provide scholarships to the meritorious students of economically weaker sections to prevent they’re dropping out of class VIII and encourage them to continue their studies and complete the Secondary level.
The students shall have a minimum of 55 % marks or equivalent grade in the class 7th examination for appearing in the selection test conducted during class VIII for the award of a scholarship (relaxable by 5% for SC/ST students). The student should be studying as a regular student in government, Government-aided, and local body schools. The candidate must have secured at least 55% marks or equivalent grade in the class VIII examination at the time of selection for the award of the scholarship. There will be a relaxation of 5% for SC/ST.
|Scholarship Name||National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship Scheme (NMMS Scheme)|
|Launched By||Government of India|
|Beneficiary||Meritorious students from Economically Weaker Sections|
The objective of the NMMS Scheme
Its objective is to provide scholarships to meritorious students from economically weaker sections to prevent dropouts in class VIII and encourage them to continue their studies at the secondary level. 12,000/- per annum (Rs.1000/- per month) will be given per student of class IX selected for study in state government, government-aided, and local bodies. And also their continuation/renewal will be provided in classes X to XII. Under the scheme, schools have a quota of scholarships for different states/UTs.
PM SHRI Scheme: Check Benefits and More
Eligibility for NMMS Scheme
- Be a class 9 student as a regular student in government, government-aided, and local body schools.
- Students of NVS, KVS, and residential schools are not entitled to the scholarship.
- Have secured at least 55% marks or equivalent grade in class 7 examination for appearing in the selection test for award of scholarship (relaxation of 5% for SC/ST).
- Have secured at least 55% marks or equivalent grade in class 8 examination (relaxation of 5% for SC/ST students).
- Have an annual family income of less than INR 3.50 Lakh from all sources.
Important Dates for NMMS Scheme
|Scholarship closing date||30/09/2022|
|Last date for defective verification||16/10/2022|
|Last date for institute verification||16/10/2022|
How To apply for NMMS Scheme?
Eligible candidates can apply for the scholarship through the following steps-:
- Firstly visit the Official Website of the National Scholarship Portal.
- The home page will appear on your screen.
- Now click on the New Registration option on the homepage
- A new web page will be displayed on your system screen
- You must read all the terms and conditions carefully.
- After reading the terms and conditions, tick all the declaration boxes
- Now click on the Continue option
- A Registration Form will appear in front of you
- Now fill in all the details that are asked in the form
- After completing the above process click on the Register option.
- In this way, you can easily apply under the scholarship scheme.
NMMSS Process under NSP
- To apply for NMMSS, students from various states and union territories, who have qualified in MAT and SAT under NMMSS, have to register themselves with NSP.
- The applications are verified online on the portal by the prescribed state authorities.
- The final list of eligible candidates, complete in all respects, is provided by the NSP team to MHRD for sanction of scholarship.
- Thereafter the Ministry of Human Resource Development approves and releases the funds to the State Bank of India (SBI), the implementing bank for the scheme.
- SBI disburses scholarships to students by electronic transfer directly into their bank accounts under Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) through Public Financial Management System (PFMS).
Selection Criteria: Students will be selected on the basis of a selection test conducted by each State/Union Territory.
- Mental Ability Test (MAT)
- Educational Aptitude Test (SAT)
NOTE-: Students are required to qualify in both exams with at least 40% marks in each (for reserved category, the cut-off will be 32% marks)
Instructions For Students
- Students of the previous academic year, who had applied for class-IX, X, and XI of project year on the National Scholarship Portal last year, need not register themselves or create new registration ID again on NSP Portal, i.e. Registration ID will be applicable last year.
- Already registered students have to select the option “Apply for Renewal” to apply for the scholarship for class-X, XI, and XII of the project year respectively.
- The students who had not applied on the NSP Portal have to register themselves with the “New Registration” option on the NSP Portal and then select the “Login to Apply” option.
- For class IX project year students applying on the NSP portal are required to enter “NMMSS Roll Number”. necessarily”.
- Students applying for classes IX and X have to select Pre-Matric Scholarship Scheme while students applying for Class XI and XII have to opt for Post Matric Scholarship Scheme during application.
To Download the Official Notification of NMMS Scheme 2022 in PDF– Click Here